Measurement



I've been working at making sure that our math is playbased and that the bulk of their math practice does not require paper and pencil. I watch my kinders as they work and gage their response to see how successful I have been with their program. Today I was thinking that the math for this week was pretty good.

We began our unit with Crazy Sock Day. The kinders wore crazy socks to school. That in itself was so much fun. Drawing their socks with lots of table talk, measuring their own socks with non-standard objects worked really well. Again, lots of positive student response. After playing with them they traded socks and measured again with different objects. 


This week I decided that we would spend a few days on feet. After all we all have them. Kim Adsit has a great measuring unit that I purchased last year from tpt. So after we drew our feet (or shoes) and measured them using her foot graphic organizer to make a record. (I just made a little change to fit my group). I am beginning to think that they can do the sorting, measuring, creating throughout the week and then after lots of good practice make a product.

Now we are going to do size  and I am going to implement the same framework this week that I used for the past two weeks; play, exchange, play, and on Friday make a product (with their own teddy bears of course). I feel like I'm getting my cake and eating it too.

A fun measurement game we played this week was asking the kinders to line up smallest to tallest without talking or touching. Quite a lot of pointing and noddingwent on. It took two minutes (yes, my kinders love the class stopwatch and time almost everything). We are going to graph our speed for a week to see if the time can be improved.

Here are a few photos of our math centres this week. The Kinders sorted by size using general classroom materials that had been set out on the tables and a pie sorting circle. The next day they sorted sequentially from smallest to tallest using the same materials. I just turned the paper over and drew colums. During both activities they were expected to work interdependently and we ended with a gallery walk.


























  
Liz

2 comments

  1. I love this! I teach First Grade, but work with two Kindergarten teachers who claim that play isn't necessary for Kindergarteners. It riles me up. My Firsties play legos and blocks and do very well on all of their academics. Good for you!!

    Kimberley
    First in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh that riles me too! Research has shown the importance of developmentally appropriate play in Kindergarten for self regulation which contributes significantly to academic and social success in later grades.It is such a disservice to the children to deny them play.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top