Storytelling




Mouse Count Storytelling Basket


I've been putting together a few storytelling baskets for the classroom which focus on retelling familiar stories, with a range of fun props. Storytelling is a time tested rich tool for building literacy in preschool and kindergarten aged children.

I began with choosing a few simple, fun stories. I purchased them in board book format, assembled props and dedicated a basket for each story. Then I cleared a shelf in the classroom library and placed the baskets on the shelfs.

To introduce the stories, I set up a storytelling table adjacent to the group area and told the stories during story time. As the stories were introduced they were placed on the storytelling table for a week and then moved to the storytelling shelf in the library corner.  Then I encouraged the children to use the storytelling baskets when we transitioned into the classroom each morning. 

We started with Mouse Count by Ellen Stoll Walsh.  A parent at my school made the ten mice using the felting method, I purchased a beautiful wooden snake and repurposed a plastic jar. I added some props like felt flower garland and pinecones and a smooth flat rock from the seashore.  This counting story is about a hungry snake who collects ten sleepy mice for his dinner. The mice outwit the snake and manage to escape by tricking him.

Liz

No comments

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top