Nature Play On Vancouver Island

Nature Kindergarten On Vancouver Island

Tag You're It!

I found an invitation in my mailbox today from Kelly at Young and Lively Kindergarten. She has tagged me this weekend on a cute little bloggy survey. I think it is a great idea. We read each other's blogs (dare I say stalk) and I know I am interested in all of you! This is the first one like this I've been tagged in, and I thought it would be a cute way to let you know a little about myself.


Here Are The Rules:
* Post these rules.
* Answer the 10 questions that the tagger posted for you.
* Create 10 questions of your own to ask the people that you're about to tag.


1. What is your funniest teaching moment or story? I had an unexpected stay in the hospital a couple of years ago and one of my students insisted that he send me a dozen roses "because that's what you do for people you love". His parents agreed and they were promptly delivered to the hospital with a personal note handwritten by him. My husband's response, "do I have to worry about him?"


2. What is your worst teaching experience? I can't think of any but there are lots of sad stories. Once I realized that I talked too much at the dinner table about a particular student who needed lots of loving, because both of our daughters had had a private talk and decided that we should adopt him.


3. What other careers did you consider (if any)? Law. I love the law and worked as a law clerk for eleven years before deciding to be a teacher.


4. What is your favorite movie?  A Walk To Remember- sad, funny, hopeful..... My family always rollls their eyes when it shows up on the tv guide and then kindly settle down to watch it with me.


5. What is the best NON children's book that you have ever read? Tricky question ... I love to read and have many many favourites, but right now I would have to say The Host by Stephenie Meyer. I'm on my third read. I get my best books from my daughters. This one came during Christmas break and is still visiting.


6. What will you spend your time doing this summer? I love having a long break to spend with family and friends. My daughter is graduating from univsersity this spring (yes I'm that old) and we are going on a trip together. Our family will spend the rest of the summer kayaking, running and sailing.


7. What kinds of school things do you bring home in your "teacher" bag to work on? Do you get them done or take them back to school undone? I never bring work home because I would never get to it.  I  work a hard, long day and usually go into school after church on Sunday to play, prep or plan.


8. How do you spend your time outside of the school day? I work with a youth group, love to run, read, write, sing and dance. I would love to play the fiddle but my shoulder still has a long healing process to complete. Honestly, there just aren't enough hours in the day!


9.  If you played & won the lottery, how would you spend the money? Would you continue to teach?
I'll never win because I never buy tickets. But I know exactly what I would do with unlimited funds. I would make sure that parents everywhere had all the resources they needed to love and care for their children, including time to be fully present as parents. I know that fully meeting the needs of young children would transform society. Also, I couldn't imagine not being a teacher but I suppose that I would travel and teach in underdeveloped countries.I love to mentor teachers so that would have to be fit in somewhere. Finally I would buy a big family cottage for everyone to use. We always talk about it and sometimes we save our pennies and rent a local cottage for a week and have a open door policy for family and friends.


10. What is the most exciting/interesting place you have visited for a vacation? I am so fortunate to live on a beautiful island with a gentle climate and easy access to water and nature!!! I guess that the best place that I have travelled to would be PEI, a Canadian province, because that's my other home. My whole familiy lives there and I miss them all the time. It's my favourite place to run and cycle.


And now for my ten questions. I'll borrow some from Kelly and some of my own.
1. What is your favourite piece of the curriculum?
2. What do you think about a play based Kindergarten program?
3. What advice would you give to a new Kindergarten teacher.
4. What professional book sits on your night table?
5. What is your favourite part of the day?
6. How do you spend your time outside of the school day?
7. Tell us about a memorable teaching moment.
8. What is your favourite movie?
9. Are most of your friends teachers?
10. What is the most exciting/interesting place you have visited for a vacation?


Here are four great bloggers I'd love to hear all about


Photobucket


rubber boots and elf shoes





Growing Kinders

3 comments

  1. Liz,
    Thank you for tagging me! This is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for participating! I loved getting to know more about you! I'm thinking about inviting myself to visit your island...it sounds wonderful! (Just Kidding!)

    ...and by the way I LOVE the idea of a Play Based Kindergarten. Sadly, in my area of the USA, most of the opportunities play has been taken away from kindergarten students. I can "sneak" it in if I can make it Literacy based so I am always looking for activities to for my block center and Home Living center that incorporates literacy and/or math. Let me know if you have some great resources!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly,

      That is so sad because research confirms the value of play in the early years and that it contributes significantly to academic success the learners experience later on and the success that they don't experience later on in older grades if it is denied. There is lots of information on the importance of play coming out here in Canada because of our recent move to full day K.

      Liz

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.