Nature Play On Vancouver Island

Nature Kindergarten On Vancouver Island

Teacher Wisdom

I’m joining Deb over at Fabulously First http://fabulouslyfirst.blogspot.ca/ to share some of my wisdom for new teachers. Deb's collecting advice for all new teachers. What a wonderful idea! I've been teaching for twelve years, most of them in Kindergarten and Grade One and continue to learn all the time!! To link up visit Deb's blog and add your site to the group.


Fabulously First


Here are my top three (to be honest I probably have a top 1000) but I'm limiting myself to three.



Be an observer. Use your prep times, release days and a district mentoring program to observe teachers. If you are part time or a teacher substitute use some of your off time to observe teachers even if just for a specific curriculum area. You will learn schedules, management techniques, teaching strategies and much more. This is the best way to grow your skills. Your colleagues will respect you for your professional attitude.




Find a partner. Hook up with another same grade teacher and plan together distributing the work load, share resources and commiserate. First year teachers are exhausted, catch every virus and are broke. This will lighten your work load and your pocket.



Become an expert. Pick one curriculum area and attend all of the free district workshops offered on that topic, focus your teacher observations on that area, talk to your colleagues and ask to observe them, try their models and then change them to fit your beliefs. Use your district professional library to read about your chosen topic and don’t forget the internet. You will be teaching the whole curriculum and it will be work but focus your professional development on one area.
Liz

7 comments

  1. So true about being sick all the time!
    Jennifer
    kindertrips

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I remember being so sick all year and hating to miss even one day.

    Liz :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, I remember being run down & completely stressed out too. Great advice!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all three of these. I found out even after teaching 14 years, coming to a new school/district makes you feel like a new teacher all over again (4 different schools in 4 years). We can all use this advise. Teachers never stop learning and improving their craft. I just found your blog from Kindergarten Lifestyle's LinkUp. Looking forward to reading!

    Tawnya
    kinderlandfun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tawnya,

    That's so hard to change schools so often! I hope that this year is a keeper. I love what you said and I totally agree, we are always learning--that's the fun of the job. Liz :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I explore all of these changes and new features, I find some to be really exciting and then also find some to be a little challenging depending on the situation of the device owner.

    common core

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I'm not sure what you mean by device owner however, I do believe that change is good as long as it does not overwhem you. My advice keep what works and look for a great mentor.

    Liz :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.