Nature Play On Vancouver Island

Nature Kindergarten On Vancouver Island

More Art Supplies to Add To Your Mini-Atelier



A Learning Series In A Reggio Inspired
Mini-Atelier In Public School

I am a lover of words and actually keep journals of quotes. Last year, in Italy I filled a journal just with quotes from the speakers, Reggio teachers and guests. So it is no surprise that I have lots of Reggio inspirational quotes. Here is one that makes me smile every time I read it and helped to fuel my passion for our mini-atelier. I read it when I visited Reggio Emilia Loris Malaguzzi Conference Centre last year. It was a amazing experience and I believe that everyone who attends the work study are inspired to develop a reflective and responsive program inspired by Reggio Emilia.


100 Languages of Children

The hundred is there.
The child is made of one hundred.
The child has one hundred languages
a hundred hands
a hundred thoughts
a hundred ways of thinking
of playing, of speaking

-Loris Malaguzzi

My intention for the mini-atelier is to ignite a child's curiosity. I love to design a learning space which aligns with my beliefs about children curious, creative, competent. Not only does the atelier offer wonderfully creative spaces, time to explore and collaborate but I believe that I am also embedding a culture of curiosity.


I have gathered a few more tools as well as some materials to share with you today. Follow this link to view some examples of process art by the Kindergarten students in our room last year. You will be amazed at the beautiful pieces shared.

Hole puncher - plan for at least two or three and purchase the ones which have a soft foam handle. The children love to punch holes along strips of paper, paper rolls, around the edge of paper and small cut up pieces of pretty paper. I also purchased some mini shape hole punchers at the thrift store and added them to the basket.

Glitter - I transfer some of the glitter into little spice jars from the thrift store and put the larger containers in my art cupboard. The little jars are stored on a small tray and easy for the children to move from one place to another. Plan to have a glitter box accessible to the children as it can quickly become very messy play. Remember this centre is student driven which means they are independent and can use the materials without close adult supervision. Take some time to set up expectations and provide opportunities for the children to have guided practice. 

Pipe Cleaners - last year we found jumbo pack of four inch pipe cleaners at the dollar store, but you will need a variety of  types in a flat container for the children to sort through; short, thick, soft, wavy... This allows the children to choose sizes which fit their designs. Last year the children loved to use the four inch stuck in foam, glue puddles or attached with tape.

Pom Poms - I did find some in the art supply room but they were all pretty similar, so I added them to my thrift store shopping list. Now we have a big basket for the children to sort through and the bin is supplemented with the school supply budget. Lots of white glue, a glue gun or a plastic needle with thread is usually required for these colourful materials. At the beginning of the year I sometimes use them in a sensory bin and the children sift, sort and categorize them. Fall is the perfect time to do a sensory bin with pom-poms because you will have a large collection to add to the artelier when the sensory bin is put away.


Stone motar and pestle - the children love to crush and reinvent materials like sidewalk chalk, lavender, flowers, salt and add their mixture to paint, water, oil... or to wet paintings or puddles of white glue. These concoctions will happen!!! Last year when the children discovered the stone mortar and pestle there was a great frenzy to crush and reinvent materials. They actually set up a potion centre and collected materials from the artelier and from home to create their potions. These can be expensive, even from a thrift store you can spent upwards of ten dollars but I think every atelier needs at least two.


If you missed the first two posts in this series here are the links


5 Steps To Developing A Reggio Inspired Mini-Artelier In Public School

5 Must Have Materials For Your New Mini-Artelier





No comments

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.